Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:37:02
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood’s video game performers voted to go on Poinbank Exchangestrike Thursday, throwing part of the entertainment industry into another work stoppage after talks for a new contract with major game studios broke down over artificial intelligence protections.
The strike — the second for video game voice actors and motion capture performers under the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists — will begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday. The move comes after nearly two years of negotiations with gaming giants, including divisions of Activision, Warner Bros. and Walt Disney Co., over a new interactive media agreement.
SAG-AFTRA negotiators say gains have been made over wages and job safety in the video game contract, but that the studios will not make a deal over the regulation of generative AI. Without guardrails, game companies could train AI to replicate an actor’s voice, or create a digital replica of their likeness without consent or fair compensation, the union said.
Fran Drescher, the union’s president, said in a prepared statement that members would not approve a contract that would allow companies to “abuse AI.”
“Enough is enough. When these companies get serious about offering an agreement our members can live — and work — with, we will be here, ready to negotiate,” Drescher said.
A representative for the studios did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
The global video game industry generates well over $100 billion dollars in profit annually, according to game market forecaster Newzoo. The people who design and bring those games to life are the driving force behind that success, SAG-AFTRA said.
“Eighteen months of negotiations have shown us that our employers are not interested in fair, reasonable AI protections, but rather flagrant exploitation,” said Interactive Media Agreement Negotiating Committee Chair Sarah Elmaleh.
Last month, union negotiators told The Associated Press that the game studios refused to “provide an equal level of protection from the dangers of AI for all our members” — specifically, movement performers.
Members voted overwhelmingly last year to give leadership the authority to strike. Concerns about how movie studios will use AI helped fuel last year’s film and television strikes by the union, which lasted four months.
The last interactive contract, which expired November 2022, did not provide protections around AI but secured a bonus compensation structure for voice actors and performance capture artists after an 11-month strike that began October 2016. That work stoppage marked the first major labor action from SAG-AFTRA following the merger of Hollywood’s two largest actors unions in 2012.
The video game agreement covers more than 2,500 “off-camera (voiceover) performers, on-camera (motion capture, stunt) performers, stunt coordinators, singers, dancers, puppeteers, and background performers,” according to the union.
Amid the tense interactive negotiations, SAG-AFTRA created a separate contract in February that covered indie and lower-budget video game projects. The tiered-budget independent interactive media agreement contains some of the protections on AI that video game industry titans have rejected.
veryGood! (178)
Related
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Vanessa Bryant Reflects on First Meeting With Late Husband Kobe Bryant
- Rescuers begin pulling out 41 workers trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India for 17 days
- 127 Malaysians, suspected to be victims of job scams, rescued from Myanmar fighting
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Michigan police chase 12-year-old boy operating stolen forklift
- US tells Israel any ground campaign in southern Gaza must limit further civilian displacement
- OpenAI says Sam Altman to return as CEO just days after the board sacked him and he said he'd join Microsoft
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- One year after protests shook China, participants ponder the meaning of the brief flare of defiance
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- NHL's first-quarter winners and losers include Rangers, Connor Bedard and Wild
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell opens up about league's growing popularity, Taylor Swift's impact
- Oshkosh and Dutch firms awarded a $342 million contract to produce equipment trailers for US Army
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- “Mr. Big Stuff” singer Jean Knight dies at 80
- Cyber Monday is the biggest online shopping day of the year — thanks to deals and hype
- Michigan police chase 12-year-old boy operating stolen forklift
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Israel-Hamas cease-fire extended 2 days, Qatar says, amid joyous reunions for freed hostages, Palestinian prisoners
Google will delete inactive accounts within days. Here's how to save your data.
Panthers fire Frank Reich after 11 games and name Chris Tabor their interim head coach
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Meta deliberately targeted young users, ensnaring them with addictive tech, states claim
Cities crack down on homeless encampments. Advocates say that’s not the answer
Baltic nations’ foreign ministers pull out of OSCE meeting over Russian foreign minister attendance